Resolution: Works As Intended
18.104.22.168 Preview, 1.18.12 Hotfix, 1.19.30
(Also reported for Java Edition at
Explosion damage scales based on how close the damaged entity is to center of the explosion. However, the position of the entity is handled naively, with the result that higher damage is done by explosions centered closer to the entity's feet.
Steps to reproduce
(These steps only show the issue because of
MCPE-153740, so if that bug is fixed then you will need to use the alternate steps below.)
- Give yourself high level health boost and instant health effects so you have lots of hearts.
- Turn off mobgriefing
- Make a ghast containment cage of some kind and summon/teleport a ghast inside of it.
- Switch to survival.
- Tank shots standing still, and while walking backwards away from the ghast. (Note that if you start to take non-damaging hits, that is a separate bug that can be worked around by changing position slightly between shots: see
You take more damage from shots while standing still because they hit near the center of your body.
You take more damage from shots while walking backwards because they hit nearer to your feet.
- Make fireballs summonable using a behavior pack.
- Turn off mob griefing.
- Place a solid block above your head, so that you are standing in a 2-block-high gap between 2 sold blocks.
- Summon fireballs at ~~~ and at ~ ~1.68 ~
The fireballs summoned at ~ ~1.68 ~ do more damage.
The fireballs summoned at ~ ~ ~ do much more damage.
- discovered while testing
MCPE-153299 The damage of the wither boss skull shell is unstable (no projectile damage on direct hits)
MCPE-78714 Ghast fireballs sometimes deal no damage
MCPE-153740 Ghast fireballs do not deal projectile damage
- relates to
MCPE-160494 Ghast fireballs sometimes fail to break blocks that they should break on a direct hit
MC-249996 Explosions do the most damage at the feet