This bug relates to the Options > Graphics > Render Distance setting. Normally, this option has 4 notches, and moving the slider to the right increases the render distance. For reasons unknown to me, I've sometimes seen certain phones have 3 notches instead of 4.
Steps to reproduce this bug:
1) Set your Render Distance option to 1/4 (the lowest setting).
2) Create a new world (Infinite/Survival) using seed 544847320.
3) Turn 90 degrees to your left and walk into the nearby village.
Result: The village should be completely empty. Zero villagers.
4) Set your Render Distance option to 2/4 or greater.
5) Re-create the same world again. (Infinite/Survival with Seed: 544847320)
6) Turn 90 degrees to your left and walk into the nearby village.
Result: The village is now populated. The amount/location of villagers may even vary depending on which Render Distance was selected.
Tweaking graphical settings should not have any effect on the content of your game. In this case, a graphics option (Render Distance) has a permanent effect on what content appears in the game.