Affects Version/s: Minecraft 1.8
Fix Version/s: None
Vanilla 1.8 no mods, hosted at mcph.eu
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD Phenom II 940BE 4x 3.0Ghz @ 3.5
8GB DDR2 Ram
AMD Radeon HD 4870x2
The following is a serialization of the steps leading up to the issue, as I typed and sent to the server owner, to provide context. I have not attempted to replicate the issue on another server.
1. Last night I was in the nether on fire (from lava), I then attempted to escape into the overworld via a portal but died just prior to teleporting.
2. It would not let me pick an option upon dieing, so I restarted my client. (bit odd, but meh)
3. I spawned next to my bed some 24k away and made the trek. However there was a copy of my avatar standing where I spawned, name and all. I could see my-self.
4. After making a long trek, I got to the portal to the nether I was about to come through and all my loot was there in the over-world; I believe it either came through the moment I died, or I came through and my client did not show it. Not that it matters.
5.I began the long trek back to my spawn area, during which another player found and experimented on the copy of me at my bedside. She eventually killed it, and that is where this story takes a turning point.
6. I got to my spawn area and logged off for the night.
7. I logged in this morning to find that I was dead, and beside my bed, in the same spot and facing the same direction my avatar-clone was. The enchanted diamond armour, picks, sword, and all other inventory items were nowhere to be found.
8. Though-out today I logged on periodically, finding that if I was gone for more than a minute or so I would once again log in dead, at my bedside, with none of my inventory preserved.
That is the end of it. I have spoken with several admins. Taking the what few ideas have been tossed about, I have re installed minecraft, and experimented with how long it takes to occur. Nothing has helped quite yet.