Affects Version/s: Minecraft 1.10.2, Minecraft 16w41a, Minecraft 1.11, Minecraft 1.12.1, Minecraft 1.12.2, Minecraft 17w43a, Minecraft 17w43b, Minecraft 18w06a, Minecraft 1.13.1
Fix Version/s: None
In spectator mode you have the same block and entity reach distance as in survival or adventure mode when you try to open containers.
I would expect it to use the reach distance of creative mode as a higher reach distance gives no gameplay advantage in spectator mode but makes interaction a little bit easier.
- Change your gamemode to creative
- Stand in the middle of a block
- Use the following command or just place a chest in +x direction manually
- Use the following command
- Try to open the chest; it should work
- Switch to spectator mode and try to open the chest again
→ You are unable to open the chest
The following is based on a decompiled version of Minecraft 1.10 using MCP 9.30.
The method net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.PlayerControllerMP.getBlockReachDistance() returns only 4.5 if the player is in creative mode otherwise it returns 4. Additionally the method net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.PlayerControllerMP.extendedReach() is called to test if the player is in creative mode and in that case sets the entity reach distance to 6 (might not be the case anymore in 1.11+).