- Ride a boat some distance.
- Exit the boat and look back.
You see the boat sitting where you got out of it.
Updated for 1.18.0:
- If you travelled a distance greater than your render distance setting from where you embarked, the boat usually disappears. The boat will reappear at the spot where you disembarked if you
- Move > 70 blocks horizontally from the disembark location (entity render distance) and then back.
- Reload the world.
- If the boat does not disappear, it appears to teleport backward to the location where you embarked, and then it flies rapidly in a straight line to the point where you disembarked.
- Mobs riding the boat have often been seen to teleport around while the boat remains invisible. This is not a separate bug, just a consequence of the boat being in an abnormal state.
- You can shoot the invisible boat with a sufficiently strong bow and it will drop. You only have to aim to the place where you exited the boat.
(by Wonderwoman8089 in this comment)
- For people playing on worlds with cheats/commands enabled.
Make sure you have one and only one boat (visible or not, where it is supposed to be) within a distance of 20 blocks:
And, to do it for another player: