Type: New Feature
Just as minecraft allows the user to ride on minecarts and pigs, and spiders on jockeys, and monsters in minecarts, there should be an API that allows both players and entities to ride on another entity.
- A function to mount and unmount an entity (including the player) on another entity
- When the entity moves, the player should move with it
- Multiple entities may even be attached to the same entity, at different attachment points.
- Mounting and unmounting events may be used to signal when an entity has mounted or unmounted. These can be used to reliably implement specific behavior for mounted entities and players.
Note: This API would work great in combination with the proposed Camera API (MCAPI-294) to restrict camera movement and the Controls API (MCAPI-308) to intercept the controls while a player is mounted. (and released when unmounted)
Justification and use cases
- Flying carpets and jetpacks
- Vehicles, custom minecarts, custom trains
- Existing minecraft features (minecarts, pigs, spider jockeys) could be recoded to use this API
- Onslaught games
- Multiple entities on the same "vehicle" may not yet be supported by the game engine