If you use "Pick Block" on Boat item in the creative inventory to duplicate it, after switching to survival (via /gamemode s), all except the last cloned item turns into a "ghost item" when you try to use them.
Steps to reproduce:
- In creative mode, put a Boat item to the first slot of the hotbar.
- Use "Pick Block" on the Boat item to obtain a duplicate.
- Put the duplicated Boat to the next slot.
- (Optional) Repeat steps 2 and 3 a few times.
- Switch to survival mode /gamemode s.
- Start placing Boats and it simply does nothing and disappear.
This issue is similar to
MC-9361, except the behaviour of splash potions is inconsistent.