Affects Version/s: Minecraft 1.8.8, Minecraft 15w43a, Minecraft 1.11, Minecraft 1.11.2, Minecraft 1.12, 1.14.4, 19w41a, 19w44a, 1.15 Pre-release 1, 1.15, 1.15.1, 1.15.2 Pre-Release 1
Fix Version/s: None
Chatting in Minecraft is an essential feature for rich multiplayer experience. I believe that the core part of Minecraft gameplay is online collaboration with friends and world-wide players. To this end, chatting in our native languages significantly lowers the learning curve for beginners and boosts fun for experienced players.
MC-2781, many users from China, Japan, Korea, and a few western countries have reported CJK IME issues and in 15w43a Mojang has applied a "quick" patch that accepts characters generated by operating system IME.
This "quick" patch is not perfect, however, with the following issues:
- It works only with Windows. On Mac, the IME behavior is different and inconsistent with different IME plug-ins.
- It does not disable IME when the chat window is closed, blocking in-game control keys (e.g., WASD) if the user does not explicitly change to English input mode.
- Send a patch to LWJGL to add a cross-platform IME API like SDL. https://wiki.libsdl.org/Tutorials/TextInput
- Update LWJGL of Minecraft.
- Patch Minecraft to:
- disable IME by default
- enable IME when the chat window / sign input window opens.
- disable IME when the chat window / sign input window closes.
- accept character composition events to actively update texts in the input window for native experience (so-called "on-the-spot" IME)
This will be a long-term journey because we need to patch both LWJGL and Minecraft whose authorities are different, so I create another issue to clean up long discussions and suggestions in the original issue (
I think the community users and Mojang should work together to completely resolve this issue.