Minecraft 15w41b, Minecraft 15w46a, Minecraft 15w47c, Minecraft 15w50a, Minecraft 16w04a, Minecraft 1.9.2, Minecraft 1.9.3 Pre-Release 2, Minecraft 1.9.3 Pre-Release 3, Minecraft 1.10.2, Minecraft 16w39b, Minecraft 16w39c, Minecraft 1.11, Minecraft 1.12, Minecraft 1.12.1, Minecraft 18w11a
It seems that whenever the game shows the text of an hoverEvent (caused by /tellraw, hovering over an item in the inventory...) it changes the lighting of entities.
- Displayed block of minecarts (darkens)
- Ender crystal (brightens)
- Place a minecart displaying a block:
- Stand in front of it (South direction; +Z) and look at it (looking North; -Z)
- Use the following command and hover over the text:
→ You should see that the block being displayed darkens when you are hovering over the message.
The following is based on a decompiled version of Minecraft 1.9 using MCP 9.24 beta.
It looks like the method net.minecraft.client.gui.GuiScreen.drawHoveringText(List<String>, int, int) which calls the method net.minecraft.client.renderer.GlStateManager.enableRescaleNormal() is causing this.