1.16.5, 21w20a, 1.17.1, 1.18.1
Players without operator permissions cannot spawn entities in spawn protection using spawn eggs, however, if a player were to use a spawn egg on an entity, a baby entity would be summoned.
- Start a server, join it, give operator permissions to yourself, and switch into creative mode.
- Set the world spawn to your current location and summon a villager.
- Obtain a villager spawn egg, remove your operator permissions, and grant anyone else with them in order to activate spawn protection.
- Attempt to use the villager spawn egg whilst looking at the previously summoned villager.
- Take note as to whether or not you can use spawn eggs to spawn baby entities in spawn protection.
Baby entities can be spawned.
Baby entities would not be spawned.