When the player tries to riptide horizontally through a 3 block high gap from a certain angle, it will be able to do so in Creative mode, but not in Survival. Instead, the player will stay at the same position while being in the riptide animation for a second, and the message "<player> moved wrongly!" is logged in the game log.
When the gap is expanded to be 4 blocks high, the issue no longer happens.
- Build a water pool (1 block deep, also works with waterlogged slabs)
- Place a 3x3 "gate" at the edge of the water pool
- Give yourself a riptide trident
- Move to the edge of the pool
- Switch to Survival mode
- Try to riptide through the gate
→ You stay at the same position and the message "<player> moved wrongly!" is logged
- Switch to Creative mode OR expand the gate to be 4 blocks high
→ You can riptide out