Affects Version/s: 1.16.2 Release Candidate 2, 1.16.2, 1.16.3, 1.16.4 Pre-release 1, 1.16.4, 20w46a, 20w49a, 1.16.5, 21w06a, 21w08a, 21w11a, 21w13a, 21w14a, 21w15a
Fix Version/s: None
Category:Custom Worlds, Performance
When teleporting to a dimension with custom biomes the client sometimes freezes or experiences major lag, with warnings in the output log "Received invalid biome id: -1". In some cases the chunks eventually load, but then some chunks appear to have the ID "null" while other chunks appear to have the ID "minecraft:ocean". At this point crossing chunk borders will cause more chunks in the distance to generate and more warnings to be spamming in the log.
- Download the attached data pack MC-197616.zip and add it to a newly created world
- After spawning in, fly up a bit and teleport to the mc:197616 custom dimension
- The chunks load correctly with the correct biome in F3
- Teleport back to the overworld
- Move away a few chunks and then teleport back to the mc:197616 dimension
- The client freezes and lots of warnings appear in the output log (more than 1000 per second)
- If this doesn't happen (the world loads correctly) repeat steps 4 and 5. This seems to be related to render distance and world generation speed.