Affects Version/s: Minecraft 1.13, Minecraft 1.13.1-pre1, Minecraft 1.13.1, Minecraft 1.13.2, Minecraft 18w44a, Minecraft 18w45a, Minecraft 18w48a, Minecraft 18w48b, Minecraft 18w49a, Minecraft 18w50a, Minecraft 19w02a, Minecraft 19w05a, Minecraft 19w06a, Minecraft 19w07a, Minecraft 19w08a, Minecraft 19w08b, Minecraft 19w09a, Minecraft 19w11a, Minecraft 19w11b, Minecraft 19w12b, Minecraft 19w13b, Minecraft 19w14b, Minecraft 1.14.2, Minecraft 1.14.3, 1.15.2, 20w13b
Fix Version/s: Minecraft 1.14 Pre-Release 1
- Go to the middle of an ocean (without islands or landing places nearby) or build a pool so mobs in it cannot escape this body of water.
- Put short mobs that can drown in it (I don't have a precise hitbox height to tell, but tested mobs are baby cats/chicken/pig/wolf/ocelot/ and silverfish)
- It looks like they are swimming, but if you look carefully, they are a bit darker (more obvious for baby wolves), which means they are "submerged" in water according to the game engine.
- Wait for them to drown
Note: This does not depends on water depth, they will try to float to the surface but still drowned just below the surface. It is not because they cannot swim, but they failed to float high enough to avoid drowning, which makes it an important distinction from another bug described below.
This bug should not be confused with
MC-9388 Baby mobs cannot swim. I also originally thought that bug had reoccurred. However, there are several important distinctions:
- It depends on the hitbox height, not whether the mob is a baby or not
- For example, some tall babies will not drown, such as baby polar bears
- The baby do float, and seems to be swimming above the surface, but is actually considered submerged by the game
A list of affected mobs as of 19w11b (before the reopening of this bug) can be found in the comment https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-134755?focusedCommentId=515912&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-515912
A list of affected mobs as of 1.14.3 (after the reopening of this bug) is:
- BABY Foxes only
- BABY cats only
1.12 (Expected behavior)
1.13 (Actual behavior)